What is The Dietitian Side Hustle?
I’m so glad you’ve found your way to the Dietitian Side Hustle. You may be wondering what this is or why someone referred you here. This post is a quick run down of what the hustle is with some ideas and inspiration to get you started. Let’s go!
The Dietitian Side Hustle is made up of 3 components:
All of these resources are intended to serve as a source of inspiration to help you start or perfect the side hustle of your dream! The Dietitian Side Hustle is designed for dietitians, dietetic interns, and students. You can be a beginner, on your way, a pro, or have no idea what a side hustle is. If dietetics is your passion, you will likely learn something new and exciting within these pages.
What is a “side hustle”?
According to the first website that came up when I googled “side hustle definition”:
A side hustle is any type of employment undertaken in addition to one’s full-time job. A side hustle is generally freelance or piecework in nature, providing a supplemental income. Side hustles are often things a person is passionate about, rather day a typical day job worked in order to make ends meet (1).
A side hustle is something that you do outside of a traditional full-time job. It can be a means to make extra income and/or a way to do something extra that you love to do. There is a long history of side hustle (even before it was listed in the urban dictionary) from Avon to Tupperware to Cutco to Pampered Chef. People like to hustle and make money on the side- dietitians included!
What is a Dietitian Side Hustle?
A dietitian side hustle is ANYTHING a dietitian does on the side to make some extra income. The Registered Dietitian Nutritionist is uniquely qualified to provide exceptional services in so many areas. They are an under tapped resource and the opportunities for the dietitian side hustle is limitless.
Here are some ideas of what a dietitian side hustle can include. BUT, know the sky is the limit and there are so many different opportunities!!
Examples of what YOU can do for your dietitian side hustle:
- Freelance writing
- blogs, magazines, copy writing, editing, etc.
- live, on-demand, self-hosted, associations, businesses
- Live speaking engagements
- conferences, schools, libraries, businesses
- One-on-one patient care
- private practice, with a provider or facility, telehealth
- advertising, sponsored posts, membership sites, etc.
- for colleges, universities, online programs, etc.
- Cooking classes
- for health fairs, farmers markets, grocery stores, etc.
- sponsors, lead magnet for service/content you offer
- Working with brands
- sponsored posts, collaboration, projects, etc.
- YouTuber, spokesperson, social media
- nutrition coaching, dietitian coaching
- Grocery store tours
- for grocery stores, businesses, programs
- Culinary work
- recipe development, food photography, food blogging
- Selling physical goods (you created!)
- foods, supplements, books, swag (clothes, etc)
- Selling digital goods (you created!)
- handouts, courses, tool kits, e-books
- Direct sales
- fitness, wellness, supplements, anything
Seriously! I’ve heard of dietitians doing birthday parties (fun cooking demos for kids), teaching mermaid swimming classes (hey, nutrition and fitness go hand-in-hand), selling inspirational swag (my “you are enough” shirt is on it’s way!), etc. If it’s your passion, go for it.
There is so much space for creativity and innovation in the world we live. You have ideas that are uniquely YOU; ideas the world needs to hear about and be changed by. Don’t worry about perfect, just start your journey.
Can I Really Do This?
Heck yes, you can!!! There are so many dietitians and resources out there to support you along your way.
Be sure to check out my Resources page for helpful websites and Facebook groups that you NEED to be in. Subscribe to and listen to the Dietitian Side Hustle podcast for regular inspiration and new ideas. And if you would like one-on-one coaching with another dietitian side hustler, check out my coaching page.
You have got this. Know that the sky is limit. Set a goal. Make a plan.
Dream big side hustler!